Wednesday 11 April 2012

Static

One of the complaints made of nylon that became folklore as it's popularity declined through the Seventies was that it was a massive generator of static electricity.

Well "massive" is a bit of hyperbole but it's true that the interactions of fabrics can produce static, friction in any material can do it - amber ans silk are customary in demonstrations - but synthetics more so and more noticeably.  What became added to the mythology but which is not true in my experience is that this static electricity could be a problem or even a danger.  I've been working with electronic components for two decades now and never once have I observed any damage that could be attributed to clothing-generated static.

collar tie
Office Wear
The possibility of static can be reduced by using a fabric conditioner in the wash but I gave that up some time ago.  Mostly it doesn't bother me and sometimes it can be fun.

Static Cling
After a day of wearing a suit with a viscose lining I get home and take off my jacket and sometimes get the static-cling I've tried to picture above.  It's a weird feeling, especially if unexpected, but I've come to like it and enjoy it when it happens.

Oh, I do get static shocks in the office when touching something grounded like the sink taps but that's nothing to do with what I wear; it's the damn carpets and it happens to everybody!

1 comment: